Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vibram Five Fingers Running Shoes

Here are the original Bikila
Last year I purchased my first pair of Vibram five fingers to help improve my running. I just had finished reading "Born To Run", and in the book I was looking for two things:
1. Motivation to continue and build on my running program
2. Away to run without constantly hurting my ankles
here my old Bikila
This book did not disappoint it gave me the two things I was looking for and then some. In the the writer "Christopher McDougall" discussed the concept of barefoot running. At first it sounded crazy to me but as I read and did some research I decided to give it a try, but since it was the middle of the winter I decided to try some type of foot covering. I bought a cheap zemgear show that lasted maybe 2 weeks. I had heard about the vibrams and seen them worn at some campsites, and since they were designed for getting wet I decided to look into getting a pair. I soon discovered that they had released a pair exclusively for running "Bikila". These were the best shoes for running that I have ever experienced. I literally bought them off the internet and have been running in them ever since. I have had no injuries and very few complaints. The biggest issue that I had came about from my over using them and wearing out the material around the toes. What is strange is the only way that I knew that the material was gone was that on a night time run I stepped on a burr and felt it in my skin. I still was able to finish my run and complete a radio show.
As far as ankle issues I had now more, as a matter of fact my ankles and calves became stronger, and I noticed that my posture improved. My time as far as running improved and I enjoyed running more. I felt more in control on my runs, my ankles were freer to do what they were designed for and my flexibility and my balanced was improved. Even on rough roads I could feel the difference and because I could feel everything I was more aware of the road and the environment. My run was transformed from a struggle with my body trying to avoid injury and became more like a state of moving meditation.
Here are Bikila LS
But all good things must come to an end, my shoes have been wore down by the road, and the material has began to leave my toes exposed. I decided to move to the "Bikila LS to test them out and give me something new to talk about on the blog. Immediately you can see the design difference, the Bikila LS has laces on the front giving the runner a snugger fit around the side. I also noticed that as soon as I placed these shoes on my feet my toes found the toe holes. Now I don't know if I can credit the LS's design or the training that my feet received from the original "Bikila's".
I will keep you updated on my new experience with these shoes once I begin my runs again. So stay tuned for more news from my Blog and my podcast...
Nuff said
Peace and 1hunidyears

No comments:

Post a Comment